Side-Projects

New Project – Log Stool

IMG_5901

Just found some time to set this guy on fire to get rid of insects and stuff hiding inside. Turns out there was nothing much to begin with. Stripped off most of the bark and set it out in the sun to dry.


IMG_5904

I picked up this large block of wood at Depot Road. It was lying there for quite a while in the recent rainy weather and had a good amount of critters, ants and grubs. I flipped it a couple of meters in the morning in the hope that the insects would leave by the time I got back in the evening and they did!

When I arrived 10 hours later, the log was relatively insect free but with soggy bark and in really wet condition. I stripped off as much bark as I could with a flat screwdriver and double bagged it with trash bags before dumping it in the car. Pretty happy! This piece is probably going to be sanded and sealed with polyutherene. I might add rebar handles if I can find out some way to bend them 90 degrees and attach them securely. First, I have to dry it for a couple of months 😉

Standard
Side-Projects

Log Side Tables: Applying Finish

Well I don’t have anyone to bring back some hairpin legs from the USA at the moment so I decided to apply pure tung oil to the logs while waiting. I’ve read that it looks good, is very tough, water resistant, easily repaired and non-toxic, perfect for my future home!

The oil itself is pretty expensive. I picked up the last bottle at $35 from handyman center at Shaw Center. They are moving to Lucky Plaza or something by the end of June 2014 if I remember correctly. Nice place, very helpful, tons of stuff you can’t find anywhere else.

pure tung oil in a squashed bottle which reduces the air inside to prevent curing

pure tung oil in a squashed bottle which reduces the air inside to prevent curing

I first stripped the bark off the logs. I originally wanted to keep it on but there seems to be many little critters taking shelter in the cracks and crevices so just a short while with a hammer and flat head screw driver did the trick. Doesn’t look too bad either.

hammer and flat screwdriver did the trick

hammer and flat screwdriver did the trick

off with the bark!

off with the bark!

IMG_5886

a little closer up

I then took a piece of cloth and applied the oil to the wood bit by bit. It was difficult to get the oil into the crevices but I’ll get them again with a tiny brush when I’m nearing completion. The first application of oil is absorbed by the wood in a short while and subsequent layers should be go on easily when the surface is sealed.

IMG_5888

 

To be safe, I’m letting the oil cure for 2 days in between applications and sanding it down lightly in between to get rid of lint and other funky stuff that settles on the wood. This is because my area is super humid.. giving it some extra time to harden and really dry out and cure. Kinda enjoy it! The oil isn’t very smelly as some suggest, but it does leave an odor on bare hands. Going to use gloves and a foam brush for the next few layers.

IMG_5890The big log got a rubdown and cleaning with whatever leftover oil there was on the little cloth. Not much done honestly but can see that the wood got a little darker with some oil. Gonna tackle it the next time I have a block of 2 hours to spare.

the big log waits its turn

the big log waits its turn

I’m partially using this project to hang around with my dog a little more. She’s really sick this time and getting skinnier by the day, probably due to a huge tumor been growing in her and it’s kinda the end of the road. Perhaps a couple of weeks? Nobody knows. She can leave whenever she wants, this time I’m definitely not going to do anything to hasten that.

 

Standard
Side-Projects

Kindle – FIXED

I was chatting with YX and said “When I come home, the Kindle screen will be there and I will be able to fix my kindle”. And so it was!

Unboxing the screen

Unboxing the screen

haha.. took a while and some rubbing alcohol to rub out the sticky glass chips in adhesive. To my surprise it came out alive from the whole exercise!

The kindle paperwhite replacement screen installed

The kindle paperwhite replacement screen installed

Now the screen is just slightly tilted which drives me mad because I cannot risk cracking the fragile screen while removing and straightening it or accidentally peeling out the layer that provides the front-lighting.  There’s just too much adhesive on the bezel to be able to peel out the screen again 🙁 I’ll just have to convince myself that it’s uniquely mine now.

Time to cross this off from the side-projects list.

 

Standard